[78-L] Lost Laurel and Hardy

Steve Williams jazzhunter at collector.org
Thu Jul 21 02:10:06 PDT 2011

Yes I have all ten DVDs and all the laserdiscs, plus the "Laurel and Hardy
and Friends" sets.  What did you need to know?

"Unaccustomed as we Are" was included twice during the run of the series,
the second time using the new, pristine Vitaphone discs.  Also included is
the delightful "all-talking" version of "Double Whoopee."  Most of the twin
girl intros are intact. And there are many other films by such as Charley
Chase and Singles by the Boys.  The focus is on films that were more scarce,
or that existed in exceptional quality. Also Kodascopes were used to
complete shorts that did not exist in their entirety on 35mm.  And where
necessary copies of the shooting script were used to fill in missing
pieces.. Common circulation prints weren't used. The transfers are of good,
sometimes pristine elements, somewhat compromised by video mastering
standards of the day.  The quality is better than anything I've seen of
these films in other sets so far because they used European prints in some
cases, with better mastering than that used on German and British sets,
which tended to have excessive sharpening and ringing, and because all that
quality and attention to detail has been lost since the North American
rights changed hands....

..  Steve Williams  ..

Message: 1
>Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 16:34:47 -0400
>From: "Thomas Stern" <sternth at attglobal.net>
>Subject: Re: [78-L] Well...here's another nice mess of DVDs you've
	gotten	meinto!
>To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>

>Who are RHI/Vivendi?
>In the early years of DVD, many single disks were issued under the Hal
Roach banner
>of ""lost"" films, some with newly found sound (from disc),
alternate/European versions, etc.