[78-L] Capitol schmutz

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Sun Jul 17 11:58:03 PDT 2011

I've been going through my Blues 78s for the first time in years and
getting myself reacquainted with them. I had forgotten just what was
there and many were uncataloged so there are quite a number of pleasant
surprises!

Anyhow, one odd surprise was finding a copy of Leadbelly on red label
Capitol 40130 (Irene b/w Backwater Blues). from the early 50s. Both
sides were covered in this partially hardened white glop that resembles
the castor oil exudate one finds on lacquers. I've never seen this occur
on a shellac and the records surrounding it are all fine. Could it be
that Capitol was playing with their formulation? The disc "rings" like a
regular shellac but sounds somewhat duller, as if it's not a normal
shellac mix. Could it have been plasticized enough for it to "mold"?

Anyone else find a Capitol doing this?

On a related note, Kodak Lens Cleaner seems to work (whereas my regular
cleaning solution does not work well at all), but not as well as it does
on lacquers.

Would somebody please refresh me on the correct water to lens cleaner
ratio I should be using for lacquers?

Thanks,
Malcolm