[78-L] Hollywood Star Records

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Jul 16 16:22:18 PDT 2011

On 7/16/2011 6:33 PM, Michael Biel wrote:
> On 7/16/2011 1:46 PM, David Lennick wrote:
>> Here's the Bill Elliott on eBzazz (hmm, wonder who's trying to unload it there?).
>> http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200631027101
>>
>> dl
>>
>> On 7/16/2011 8:48 AM, Han Enderman wrote:
>>> The subject has been mentioned long ago, and from that discussion I saved the following remarks:
>>>
>>> "HOLLYWOOD STAR RECORDS. The Voice Of The Stars.
>>> These 8 inch discs were made in the same way the label HIT OF THE WEEK records were made.
>
> No they weren't.  Durium was a liquid which was coated onto the
> cardboard and after drying put thru a rotary press like newsprint.
> These Hywd discs seem to be clear celluloid sheets glued onto the
> printed cardboard.  Different technique, and the Durium was much superior.
>
> Mike  Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

They're the same thickness as those kids records of the late 40s, but the
celluloid (or whatever) seems to be much thinner and prone to cracking, but not
peeling. What kind of technique was used for the FAMOUS records in 1941? Those
are much superior and durable, and seem to be laminated plastic.

dl