[78-L] Home 78 rpm disc Recorder

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Jul 16 15:25:09 PDT 2011

On 7/16/2011 4:08 PM, Royal Pemberton wrote:
> It would be a bit of a toy, really, not something that made a quality
> recording, then or now.

I have 4 or 5 of these home machines, some Wilcox-Gay Recordios and a
Silvertone.  Then I have a couple of quality Presto portables.  The pro
machines are becoming very pricey now with some very eager collectors.
I suppose the home machines will start to go high if in good shape, and
all of mine are.  Blanks still turn up occasionally although they are
not anywhere near as good as they were when new.  The cutting needles
are hard to find unless you are lucky.  Even if you find a couple they
were meant to be resharpened often -- not really possible now -- or
disposable.  They were cheap then, and the only ones available now are
for highly professional machines and are VERY expensive.  A new pro disc
would cost almost as much as the machine you are looking at.

A toy, a conversation piece, and something to give you some first hand
experience with, but not something to make a quality recording.  $30
bucks is probably worth it.  That's what I've paid for a couple of my
better home machines.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com