[78-L] Columbia discography

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Jul 10 11:03:02 PDT 2011

On 7/10/2011 1:46 PM, Bryan Wright wrote:
> Over the past year, I've relied heavily on the excellent online
> discography of Victor recordings (EDVR) hosted by the University of
> California while cataloguing my collection. The ability to search disc
> numbers, see matrix numbers and rejected takes, additional personnel,
> etc. has been a great help.
>
> Are there any plans for a similar project with Columbia records?

Funny you should ask.  Leah and I were in D.C. last week at Sam and Gail
Brylawski's and Sam is in Santa Barbara right now to start the set up of
exactly what you are asking for -- a Columbia on-line master directory.
It will not have as much detail as the Victor project has -- it will be
based mainly on the published Brooks-Rust set -- but it will be designed
to interface with the next part of the Jukebox project: streaming
acoustical Columbias.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com