[78-L] E. F. Trapp Co of Minneapolis, MN

Ray Kilcoyne kil at roadrunner.com
Fri Jul 8 14:26:07 PDT 2011

Here's an obit for Otto Baganz.  Indicates he from Wisconsin.  Still not
much evidence of where Trapp Company of Minneapolis comes in, but notice
that one of his daughters married a Trapp.
RayK

Otto Baganz - The Sheboygan Press - Friday - August 18, 1978
This obit was donated by: Peggy Hoffmann

Otto Baganz, Widely Known Plymouth Harpist, 84, Dies
Otto A. Baganz, 84, of 616 Laack St., Plymouth, a harpist and founder of the
Baganz Trio, known in Lutheran circles throughout the nation, died early
today.
He had been a patient at Sheboygan Memorial Hospital for the past three
weeks.
Born March 14, 1894, in the Town of Forest {Fond du Lac County}, a son of
Gustav and Augusta Koester Baganz, he attended parochial school in the Town
of Forest, Fond du Lac High School, and a seminary at Watertown.
Receiving instruction as a harpist in Milwaukee and at the Gillen's School
of Music, Chicago, Mr. Baganz studied under Enrico Tramonti and Edmund
Schluecker and Joseph Vito.
He was a member of several symphony orchestras in the Midwest, playing with
the Chicago Symphony and the Decatur Symphony, Decatur, Ill.
In 1936 he founded the Baganz Trio comprised of himself, his daughter,
Norma, and his son Reuben. Mrs. Baganz replaced her daughter in the trio in
1939.
The trio performed concerts in Lutheran churches throughout the nation until
the group disbanded in 1953, but Mr. Baganz, performed as a solo harpist on
tour from 1953 to 1965.
One of Mr. Baganz's harps, costing $10,000, was displayed at the World's
Fair in Chicago in 1935. He also played in the Hall of Religion at the fair.
On April 15, 1918, he was married to Mabel Swenson in Wisconsin Rapids. She
died in January 1928.
On Oct. 30, 1929, he married Eleanor Kolpin at Rockford, Ill. The couple
lived at Red Granite, Green Lake, Berlin and in Illinois, Indiana and Fond
du Lac, prior to moving to Plymouth 25 years ago.
He was a member of St. John Lutheran Church, Plymouth.
Survivors are his wife, two sons, Reuben of Sheboygan, and Gay of Wausau,
four daughters, Mrs. Gerald {Norma} Trapp of Sheboygan Falls, Mrs. Charles
{Glorious} Van Arsdel of Indianapolis, Ind., Mrs. Virgil {Rhea} Navis of
Oostburg and Mrs. Dale {Lahna} Anhalt of Lake Mills; 24 grandchildren and 14
great-grandchildren.
He is also survived by a brother, August, of New Castle, Ind., and two
sisters, Miss Clara Baganz of Kenosha and Miss Martha Baganz of Milwaukee.
A son and 12 brothers and sisters preceded him in death.
Funeral services will be at 1:30 p.m. Monday at St. John Lutheran Church.
The Rev. Dennis Pegorsch, associate pastor, will officiate. Burial will be
the Forest Cemetery, Town of Forest.
Friends may call at the Wittkopp Funeral Home, Plymouth, after 3 p.m. Sunday
and on Monday until 11 a.m. and then at the church from noon until the time
of services.
A memorial fund has been established in Mr. Baganz's name.

From: Han Enderman
Label name is Baganz.
I have images of Baganz 2, 7 & 8, so app. a small private series.
7-A is a harp solo by Otto Baganz.
Evidently the records are played by the Baganz Trio or its members.

A "Baganz Trio Concert Program" (flyer) includes, in normal print, a
religious tune
arr. by Reuben Baganz (Vibraharp Solo) and a religious Medley, arr. by Otto
Baganz.
Also listed is "FINLANDIA ("Be Still My Soul")" by Sibelius.
Flyer states: "The Trio carries a supply of records for immediate delivery
after each concert".
I will mail the scan of the flyer.

But what is/did E.F. Trapp Co in Minneapolis? Were they sellers of these
records?

han enderman
===
>>> Hi... Trying to decipher a label and not so good on the gothic script.
>>> Could there be a label called "Baganz" " bayanz" or something similar ?
>>> Got a 12 inch 78rpm of Sibeliius' Finlandia to catalogue and Mr. Google
>>> did not yield any results to my queries.

Record number is "2" :)
mx rt165251-1/2

Thanks... Darren
Music Library Finland