[78-L] 78-L Digest, Vol 34, Issue 5

JD jackson1932 at cfl.rr.com
Wed Jul 6 14:05:05 PDT 2011

> Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 13:05:32 +0000
> From: Don Cox <doncox at enterprise.net>
> Subject: Re: [78-L] Hot Fives and Sevens set  on sale
> To: 78-L Mail List <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
>
> Hello Steve
>
> On 04/07/2011, Steve Ramm wrote:
>>
>> For the few folks who don't have this set, this is a good ONE DAY
>> deal:
>>
>> http://sony-m.neolane.net/nl/jsp/m.jsp?c=9cf651bfd6ca98b2b1
>>
>> It is at the TOP of my Desert Island Discs (Pet Sounds and "The 86
>> years of Eubie Blake" are two others on my DID lists)
>>
> The transfers are not very good on this Sony set. The JSP set has much
> better sound (transfers by JRT Davies).
>
> Regards
> --
> Don Cox
> doncox at enterprise.net
> ***********************************

I'll second that gladly and LOUDLY!
Thanks to the reccomendation of someone on this list I bought the JSP set a
few years ago and was astounded at the wuality considering the age of the
recordings. As a lifelong musician and onetime recording engineer I couldn't
believe what I was hearing. I've often found that some of the "legendary"
recording engineers are not quite so "legendary." Not so in the case of JRT
Davies. This chap was a true miracle worker. Plus, very important to
musicians, the keys of the tunes were corrected. Not something that can be
said of the Columbia transfers I have which I imagine may be the source of
the aforementioned set.
But wait, there's more, the price last time  checked)  was still 20 bucks
for a 4 CD Box set.
It's still listed as in stock ($23.00) at deepdiscount.com.

     http://www.deepdiscount.com/cd/The-Hot-Fives-Sevens-JSP-Box

Great thanks again to whomever it was who brought this superb set to my
attention!
Jack Daney