[78-L] One or three holes?

Graham Newton gn at audio-restoration.com
Wed Jun 29 16:51:28 PDT 2011

Milan P Milovanovic wrote:

> not so while ago, the discussion about details of lathes raised. I came
> across this record sample

> http://youtu.be/tc2FrjRa9Os
>
> It is clearly visible only one hole mark besides spindle. I always
> thought that one additional hole on lacquer was reserved for amateurish
> type media and three additional holes for professional blank samples.
>
> Someone knows what's in case here? Why is there only one? Could it be
> possible that recording engineers used semi pro or amateur recording
> blanks?

It depends on the type and design of the recording lathe.  The extra hole or
three holes are drive holes to engage with a single (usually spring loaded) pin
to prevent the lacquer disc from slipping as it is being cut for the master.
Why some lacquers were supplied with three holes is a mystery, since I never
encountered anything where more than one hole was needed.

All home use disc cutting machines used discs with at least one drive hole.

Many professional mastering lathes like Scully and Neumann used lacquers with
no drive holes, only the center pin, and it was hollow to allow vacuum to be
conducted under the turntable platter to hold the lacquer flat while it was
being cut.

Lathes like Presto, RCA Victor and others found in broadcast studios mostly
used lacquers with the drive hole since it was much cheaper to make a
non-suction-hold-down turntable.

... Graham Newton (RCA Victor disc mastering engineer in a former life!)

--
World class professional services applied to tape or phonograph records for
consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR's CAMBRIDGE processes.