[78-L] ePoo Reserve Prices (was Q.R.S. discs)

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Sun Jun 19 07:31:25 PDT 2011

I have never quite understood the purpose of reserve price. If that
is the minimum you are willing to sell for, the make it your minimum
bid starting price. Past that I see it as a time waster.

Here's a case in point: A recent listing of the Canadian pressing
(and rare as all hell) Decca 45 of the Beatles' My Bonnie (Decca
31382) was listed with a starting bid of 99 cents, with a reserve. By
end of auction time it went to $4,500. It didn't sell, because even
at this price, the reserve was not met. The record was then relisted
with a minimum bid of $14,500 (ten grand more). Generally speaking,
this item has sold for about $5,000 in the past. So what was the
point of the reserve, in particular if it was as high as 14K.

There was a similar go round with a rock'n'roll 78 that generally
commands a price of around $50. Highest  bid that came in was about
$45. It never sold, and the guy still re-listed it and still used a
reserve, as it didn't sell the second time around either