[78-L] Auction Action: worth it?

Dennis Flannigan dennis.flannigan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 01:39:06 PDT 2011

In reading the Q.R.S. discussion it crossed my mind that expanding the
reflections on auctioning 78 rpm records -- whether on EBay or other auction
sites -- would help collectors who consider posting on auctions, but do not.
I am one of those. I sell a few to people who learn about some of my
recordings, but mostly I speculate. I have several valued and valuable
records. They should attract high bids, and others that should draw good
bids. The posting on grading Cary provided is helpful. I know the grades,
but it seemed clearer than many other descriptions. Also helpful was the
"Buy Now," discussion, and other reflections.

Here are some observations and questions I hope will expand the discussion.
I have noted shipping can cost more than eBay allows. How is that handled?
What is a minimum amount a seller should ask? Not because the record is
worth that much, but that the cost of the sale, handling and shipping and
other expenses make it cost more than the sale can receive.

Is it worth selling any 78 rpm record if it only attract modest bids? Is
there a minimum value a seller better get to make it worthwhile? Examples?
Middle interest Western Swing on Capitol (Wesley Tuttle, Jimmy Wakely) in E+
condition. Probably a two to three dollar record for an interested buyer,
and a dollar in the bins. So, say it sells for $3.50 + shipping. Seller then
wraps securely in cardboard, floats it inside a box with crumpled newspaper,
and takes it to post office, or it is picked up from the house/warehouse.
Bidder pays $4.00 for that. So, here's $3.50 payment, less expenses for
Ebay, time spent handling and mailing prep and costs; plus, the work/time
required to listen, scan, grade, list/ post, review, respond to questions,
notify winner, then mailing and on occasion arguing with buyer over
condition, breakage, and the like. Is the real value letting collectors
write off expenses to Record Meets, junking and conventions?

Seems to me, you'll spend more than an hour with any record you post even if
you're selling 50 p/week. If your time is even minimum wages, you'd need to
clear $10.00 (taxes need to be paid, income reported, green sleeves
purchased, record washing accomplished). And, how do you get over the fear
of getting "took." I really don't care in one sense, but that idea bugs
me. What's to do?

All that said, I'm 71 and come from piss-poor DNA, so one of these days,
kaput.  Then heirs say, "What the heck do we do with all these," and they
stumble and tumble into Goodwill bins or elsewhere. Oh, I live on modest
retirement/soc-security, own my own clutter collection domicile and earning
a few dollars wouldn't offend me. Thank you.

Dennis