[78-L] Ever Ready Gospel Singers Resolution

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 17 21:43:56 PDT 2011

RESOLUTIONS ON SECOND READING AND FINAL PASSAGE:

RESOLUTION NO. 182 OF 1997

A RESOLUTION TO RECOGNIZE THE EVER READY GOSPEL SINGERS AS A SHREVEPORT LEGEND, AS AN INTEGRAL PART OF SHREVEPORT'S RICH MUSICAL HERITAGE, AND TO OTHERWISE PROVIDE WITH RESPECT THERETO.

BY: COUNCILMAN BURRELL

WHEREAS, In 1946, Charles Graves, Elbert Green, Roy Simms, and Willie "Uncle Bill" Caston joined forces in Shreveport, Louisiana, to become The Ever Ready Gospel Singers, a group which sings a style of gospel music called Southland gospel; and

WHEREAS, a short time after The Ever Ready Gospel Singers was formed, it became the first black group to appear on the superstation KWKH and it developed a large following which led to hectic touring schedules in the tri-state area and across the country; and

WHEREAS, The Ever Ready Gospel Singers recorded its music on the Abbott Record Label (Hollywood, California) in 1954; on the Shaw Label (Houston, Texas) in 1957; on the Peacock Label (Houston, Texas) with Bobby "Blue" Bland in 1959, and on Sitting In Records (New York City) in 1959; and

WHEREAS, The Ever Ready Gospel Singers was featured on KSLA Television on a show called "Hallelujah Train" from 1977 until the mid-eighties; and

WHEREAS, Fortune Stephenson joined the group in 1948, and Frank Edwards joined the group in 1951 at the age of 14 years; and

WHEREAS, The Ever Ready Gospel Singers has featured many performers throughout the years including Eddie Jackson, Robert Broussard, Curtis Kimble, Rev. Fred Smith, Nathaniel Bills, Robert Hardin, Rev. George Coleman, James Jones, and Booker Miles, the core of the group has always been Charles Graves - 2nd tenor, Elbert Green - bass, Fortune Stephenson - baritone, and Frank Edwards - 1st tenor; andEver
(http://www.shreveportla.gov/ccmin/99_97/ccsep297.htm)

***
The Ever Readys Peacock (1802/1959; 45 rpm) and Abbott (149, 158/1954) are known. If "Sitting In Records (New York City)" means Bob Shad's label Sittin' In With, than there is no way the Ever Readys could have recorded with them in 1959; perhaps 1949 is meant. The Gospel part of the Sittin' In catalog is very sparsely populated, and I have no idea what these records might have been.

Likewise, I've never heard of "Shaw Records" in Houston or elsewhere. Could be a misreading of "Shad Records" but that label didn't record any Gospel that I know of and did not start, to my knowledge until 1958. Is anyone familiar with such a label? Perhaps it was a local, Houston-based concern or a Robey spinoff?

thanks,

Uncle Dave Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com

Uncle Dave Lewis
uncledavelewis at hotmail.com