[78-L] Brunswick Blackbirds album

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Jun 14 00:03:40 PDT 2011

On 6/13/2011 9:42 PM, Han Enderman wrote:
> A few people here will remember the old days when
> the fabulous Brunswick Blackbirds album was discussed..
> At:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Brunswick-Jazz-Race-Record-Supplement-78-Era-Blues-/230626569551?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item35b26a2d4f
> you will see the Brunswick May 1932 supplement listing it as the "May release" (6516-6521).
> Surprisingly they did not show the album cover instead of Ethel Waters on the flyer front.

Thanks for finding this.  The great scans are good enough for me -- I
don't need to spend fifty bucks to have the actual fragile paper.
> Note from original owner:
> "Even after decades of collecting, I've never seen the 6-record album advertised on the front page."

As I discussed in my ARSC presentation last year, the only copy I have
ever seen was Miles Kreuger's which he had recently used to model the LP
reissue cover after.  Fortunately Jack Raymond had supplied me with
great photos of his copy.  This really is a landmark album, and it is
great that you have found the listing  of this supplement which confirms
that the album was sold in the U.S. with the records.  There is an ad in
The Gramiophone (which I was able to download before they purposefully
degraded their scans) which details that the album was sold empty to
customers who had bought the individual records in the set.

> What amazes me is that it is described as "Album No. 39".
> Other albums with classical music?   han enderman

This is the only time I have ever seen this set number.  It is not on
the album itself (although I do not have a photo of the spine.  Jack?
Unfortunately this is just beyond the scope of Ross Laird's Brunswick
discography, so I do not have definitive info on the classical set
numbering, but will try to find out.  Now to find the supplement with
the Showboat album!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com