[78-L] A question of release dates

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Jun 12 20:21:06 PDT 2011

Duke Ellington Plays the Blues was originally a 78 album released in 1947
(including 20-2326), and transferred to LP and 45 EP probably in 1952.
Information from the American Record Label Directory (supposed to be coming
back into print or online, I think). Matrix numbers are often a guide to
determining when an album was mastered, with release usually within a few
months to a year, but that takes a while to learn how to decipher.

"Both Sides Now" is a great source for info on many record labels
http://www.bsnpubs.com/index.html
but RCA Victor isn't there, as far as I can see. A work in progress.

dl