[78-L] Help on background of 1962 78 by The Pearls

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Thu Jun 9 21:23:01 PDT 2011

On 5/11/2011 5:32, agp wrote:
> Bear with me -- this is about 78s!
>
> I'm trying to find out something about a 1962 girl group, possibly
> black, that had a 1962 release on Warner Brothers. The group is
> called The Pearls and the songs are Happy Over You (Leo McCorkle) b/w
> If I Had a Choice (McCorkle/ Henry). A 45 was issued on Warner
> Brothers in the USA on catalogue #5300. In the Philippines (God love
> 'em!) this made it on 78 in late 1962 -- same catalogue number.
>
> Other details -- The group was 'under the supervision of Stan
> Applebaum. The record is 'A GPB production Arranged by Bert Keyes'.
>
> The writer, Leo McCorkle, is a New York musician who is known among
> Northern Soul fans for his songs and productions as well as a release
> of Popside records called Please Send me a Somebody Else in 1967.
> Appaently his full name was William Leo McCorkle. The 'Hnery on the
> flip is a K. Henry who co-wrote a Crystals lp track called Frankenstein Twist.
>
> Stan Appelbaum is well known for arrangements from Glenn Miller to Ben E King
>
> All that said -- I can't find anything about the group The Pearls.
> Its not a 50s R&B group and not the 70s girl group fom the UK.
>
> Any help appreciated
>
> Oh -- its a great girl group/ northern soul track even better at 78!

I found a web site that lists a lot of pearls recordings and seems to
make a distinction between 2 sets. When I found some of them on Youtube,
etc, the group that is called the "Fabulous Pearls" is male, But a
number on Lamp 653, "Shooting High" is a girl backup with a male lead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96PIcaMD5Ok
Baby baby baby...

Interesting reading here about the "Fabulous Pearls" ( all male group
from Detroit). Did Baby Cortez' "Happy Organ" hit the fast wax?
Arranger used to work for Erskine Hawkins...

Here's the flip
"Can I call you Baby"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JARJHmMO_zI&feature=related

And then there were the 4 pearls, from Washington
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLfP7HlCUUg
The flip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otp-k2qeAmI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eFv127P2Eo&feature=related
Who are also the "Fabulous Pearls" (mixed quartet).
Not to be confused with...

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.