[78-L] Price $7.00 for Single Sided 12" 1912 Victrola Record?

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Sat Jun 4 13:19:19 PDT 2011

The pre-WW 1 years were probably the most expensive ones for, at least,
buyers of operatic records. This was the time when record companies
could charge 30 % more than regular price for a duet and almost the
double for a quartet. Gelatt describes this in his "The Fabulous
Phonograph", and, indeed, mentions that Victor, by 1908, charged 7
dollars for the "Lucia Sextet" (which was recorded in February 1908, not
1912).
BTW: Gelatt also quotes a statement from Victor (to the dealers), which
well explains the company's price policy:
"Do not underestimate the value of the Sextet as an advertising medium.
This feature of the record is very much more valuable to the average
dealer than the actual profit he may make of its sales. Not all of your
customers can afford to purchase a 7 dollar record, but the mere
announcement of it will bring them to your store as a magnet attracts
steel."
Kristjan

>>> 78-L at klickitat.78online.com