[78-L] Webpage about 78 by Capitol of Canada

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Jun 1 16:13:35 PDT 2011

I'm not sure where he's getting his information..there's no such thing as a
Canadian Capitol pressing prior to 1949. And why does he display the American
label for the Al Trace when he's emphasizing Regal pressing it in Canada? Regal
DID have rights to a lot of small American labels including Phil Spitooney
(that Christmas album turns up a lot) and Savoy and Regent for jazz. Sparton
also pressed Musicana (which had Musicraft, Black & White and a lot of other
indy labels up here, even Coral for a time), Gala (mostly Dwight Fiske),
Monogram (had Apollo and other jazz as well as original Canadian stuff), London
(till 1951), and many times you don't know who was the Canadian distributor
since one is rarely named. I presume Regal had to drop all its independent
labels once it got rights to Capitol, and the name became Capitol Records of
Canada Limited. Pressings were quite variable, by the way, and usually very
fragile..but occasionally you'd get a shellac/vinyl mix and sometimes a
laminated pressing from them because the plant also pressed Columbia. I've had
"It's In The Book" on all 3 types of material on Canadian Capitol.

dl