[78-L] Kaufman's Pagan Love Song on LP

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sun May 29 11:48:41 PDT 2011

There seem to be plenty of electric vocals on Harmony as far back as the 700
series...the ones mentioned by Jim as well as Jack Miller,  Jack Hart,
Walter Cummins, Willard Robison,  etc.  None of them were "big" voices as
were Kaufman.

The interesting thing about many of those vocal records is that they are
sort of "hybrids" between the a vocal and a dance record.  One of my faves
of all of them is the Jack Hart of You Were Meant For Me with a great Sam
Lanin band for accomp.  It's really a dance band record,  except that Hart
sings the verse as well as the chorus,  which was always unusual for a dance
record of the era.  Same with the Millers of Singin' in the Rain,  Louise,
etc.  and the Hanshaws often follow the pattern (Mean To Me,  Precious
Little Thing Called Love,  etc.).

I"m making a distinction between these with larger bands  and the more
conventional vocal records with piano or very small band accomp.

Taylor