[78-L] Kaufman's Pagan Love Song on LP

Ryan Barna ryansrecords1 at hotmail.com
Sat May 28 17:41:38 PDT 2011

To set the record straight about Taylor's question a few days ago...

I have the Velvet Tone issue of "Pagan Love Song" (Kaufman solo) and it is indeed an ACOUSTIC recording. I also own the band vocal he does on Harmony and it is also acoustic. I've owned the Columbia LP for years and was always puzzled about it, because the notes says it's from a Harmony but the track is clearly electric. Kaufman also recorded it electrically on Columbia as "Frank Harris" but never heard the disc to confirm. Now that Taylor has mentioned it, it seems to be more likely the Pathe/Cameo recording because of the deep bass sound it has. Ever notice?

Something else that was asked -- when did Harmony begin using electrical recordings? I don't know the answer to this either, but I can tell you the LATEST acoustic Harmony I've heard: "The Moonlight Reminds Me of You" by the California Ramblers ("Golden Gate Orch.") mx. 150477-2, 4/17/1930, Harmony 1152-H.

And something else that I've found frustrating with Harmony -- I've looked at the Columbia cards myself and the Harmony matrix numbers are always prefixed with an "H," for both acoustic and electric recordings, and the cards don't specify either one. I have plenty of Harmony electrics that don't have "W" printed in the runout, and they're still documented on the cards (and test pressings) with an "H." Brian Rust did not leave these details out intentionally in the 3rd volume of the Columbia master books, they're just not documented period.

I know it took a while to respond, I'm just so behind in my own work that I don't have much time for participation.

-Ryan Barna
www.facebook.com/Phonostalgia