[78-L] A Warning

Kurt Nauck nauck at 78rpm.com
Sat May 28 15:59:45 PDT 2011

As an international dealer in vintage records for over 25 years, I
have done business with many thousands of collectors and dealers
scattered around the globe. I have always felt blessed to be a part
of a hobby with so many genuinely nice, honest people in it. Sure,
there have been times that a particular transaction went south or
left a bad taste in my mouth, but most of these incidents probably
had more to do with misunderstandings or personality clashes than
being a result of malicious intent.

In order to protect one another's interests, a few dealers regularly
share the names of persons that renege on their bids or engage in
practices that would not be borne of goodwill. This has been going on
for many years, and we have not publicized the names outside our own
circle. It is telling, though not particularly surprising, that if
one of us has had a problem with an individual, others may have had
issues with them as well. It should also be noted that some of these
persons have cleaned up their act over the years, and now deal with
full integrity.

I mention this simply to set the stage for what I'm about to say
next. Over the past 6 weeks, I have had two communications with
persons regarding a particular individual by the name of Rick
Dembinsky. Both of these persons lost thousands of dollars, and have
little, if any, recourse. Because I have had my own experience with
this person - once about 15 years ago and then again this year - I
have full confidence in what these persons have told me. (The reason
that Mr. Dembinsky almost defrauded me a second time was that he was
dealing under the name of his presumed wife, "Julie Timm." There may
be other aliases he has used as well.)

This is the text of an email I received today from Jim Weaver, who
asked me to share it with others. The story he relates is very
similar to what Dembinsky did to a good friend of mine in Chicago
just a couple of months ago. Jim and I share this information simply
to protect others.
______________________________

There is a record scam operated out of Traverse City, Michigan by an
individual named Rick Dembinsky. The scam goes as follows: He will
call stating his name, city, state and phone number. Everything will
seem extremely deliberate and scripted. He will offer deals and throw
around names like Tefteller, Nauck's, Slotnikoff, Solarski as if he's
done tons of business with them.

After several successful deals when the transactions become larger,
he bails and won't answer the phone. He keeps the money you've sent
him for the records.

He has one 2004 conviction for retail fraud and numerous judgements
against him in small claims which he just doesn't pay. He used to
reside near Chicago and according to sources over there he's been
running the same type of scam for over 20 years. The U.S. Postal
Fraud Division is aware of his activities and he's being investigated
but chances of actually collecting anything through a law suit or
small claims is miniscule.

He duped me out of over $7,3000. Tefteller and Slotnikoff have been
informed. I just wanted you folks to know and if you have any contact
or dealings with him..... beware. The deal IS too good to be true!

Jim Weaver

A couple of email later, Jim added the following:

He IS married to a woman named Julie Timm, however she is definitely
NOT a record collector. I had spoken to her on the phone before the
deal went South.  She is named in some of the small claims actions
against them both so she is involved whether she knows it or not. The
following part might be helpful for folks, too.

Dembinsky works a phishing scheme where he calls record stores all
over the U.S. inquiring about specific Blues Records/Labels.
Sometimes the stores provide information leading him to someone who
may have that type of item. In this case a record dealer in Wisconsin
gave him my number after Dembinsky specifically asked about record
#5000 on Meteor. When Dembinsky called me he represented himself as a
long time customer/friend of the store owner. He knows most people
won't pursue action against him because of the distance and legal
expense involved so he gets away with it.

As a single father raising two daughters on my own this financial
loss was huge. If I retain an attorney the hole just gets bigger.

P.S. Do you know of a record dealer in the Chicago area named
Bernard? This person was mentioned in his scam and probably has no clue.
______________________________

If you know of others who have had problems, contact Jim at
<tributetotheking at yahoo.com>. The more evidence and victim names he
can collect, the better the chances that this particular operator can
be shut down. And feel free to spread this message.

Kurt Nauck
c/o Nauck's Vintage Records
22004 Sherrod Ln.
Spring, TX  77389