[78-L] Kaufman's Pagan Love Song on LP

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat May 28 13:35:17 PDT 2011

Correcting the issue # of the third Kaufman recording *.

If it's Harmony (etc) 895H, Bar Harbor Society Orchestra with "Robert Wood"
(Irving Kaufman), it was recorded on April 8, 1929, a day that also saw
sessions by Andy Sannella, Ruth Etting, Ben Selvin, and dance band sides under
various names (all nominally led by Irving Brodsky) with consecutive matrix
numbers from 138186 to 148199. The full price Columbia artists alternate with
the dime store recordings, so I somehow doubt that Columbia would have assigned
two or three matrix numbers at a time to a studio using the acoustic recorders.
But I could be wrong. For that matter, Kaufman also recorded Pagan Love Song on
April 22nd, but according to the Columbia books, only the non-vocal sides from
that session were issued. And just to further the confusion, Kaufman recorded
it a third time under his own name on Harmony *936H*, May 28 1929, a day that
also saw full price Columbias by Clarence Williams and Sonny Greer's
orchestras, so again it seems likely that the electrical equipment was in use.

dl