[78-L] the original sound of the twenties --- lp

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat May 28 13:07:04 PDT 2011

On 5/28/2011 4:03 PM, Michael Biel wrote:
> On 5/28/2011 12:00 PM, David Lennick wrote:
>> Discredited but not gone..the other day I heard WNED playing a good sized chunk
>> of the original 1930 Dreigroschenoper cast recording, which Telefunken ruined
>> in the 60s by swamping it in echo and continually reissuing in that form.
>>
>> dl
>>
>> On 5/28/2011 11:49 AM, Mike Daley wrote:
>>> Is the use of reverb in reissues completely discredited by this point?
>
> David might remember that I ragged him on those early Intersound
> reberbs, but by that time he had stopped using it and was atoning for
> his sins.  Alvenu Malchanu
>
> Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

Of course one reason we justified it was so that if we had to steal er
"transfer" from reissues instead of originals, something which was legal in the
Canadian copyright definitions at the time ("directly or indirectly" it said),
the already reverbed tracks wouldn't stand out as much. Dayenu.

(Alvenu Malchanu married Alyce King, didn't he?)

dl