[78-L] the original sound of the twenties --- lp

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Sat May 28 07:20:04 PDT 2011

On 5/28/2011 1:35, Michael Biel wrote:

> I was just about to answer this.  This set changed my life.  It was the
> first outside affirmation that the music I really liked the best and was
> collecting was VALUED by others.  I knew the many classical 78 sets I
> had were "important" and "worthy" but what about the old pop that I also
> liked a lot.  Sure, I had 60 Years of Music America Loves Best, but half
> of that was classical, much was newer stuff, and nothing before
> Whiteman's Whispering.    I was still in high school when Original Sound
> came out, and my first copy has the cream box with the purple spine
> lettering.  My four other copies have black  boxes.  I had bought a
> second set so I'd have a pristine set of discs while using the earlier
> discs one for my broadcasts.  And in the 70s when Rich Markow was
> working at Sounds Good in Chicago and spotted it on a cut-out list he
> called me up and all he said was "C3L35 is on a cut out list.  How many
> do you want?" "Three," I replied.  I don't ever want to be without this
> set.

This does sound like a nice collection. I have a CD from  Pro Arte
Digital called "Legendary Bands of the 20's" that has a nice mix of
popular tunes. Mostly well-known tunes, but possibly the best of the
them, with sprightly arrangements.
http://www.amazon.com/Legendary-Bands-20s-Various-Artists/dp/B000008ACY

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)