[78-L] the original sound of the twenties --- lp

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri May 27 23:35:10 PDT 2011

On 5/28/2011 12:58 AM, Cary Ginell wrote:
> Yes to Aunt Jemima. No to Lee Morse. The Morse songs that are on that set are "Moanin' Low" and "Old Man Sunshine."
>
> Cary Ginell

I was just about to answer this.  This set changed my life.  It was the
first outside affirmation that the music I really liked the best and was
collecting was VALUED by others.  I knew the many classical 78 sets I
had were "important" and "worthy" but what about the old pop that I also
liked a lot.  Sure, I had 60 Years of Music America Loves Best, but half
of that was classical, much was newer stuff, and nothing before
Whiteman's Whispering.    I was still in high school when Original Sound
came out, and my first copy has the cream box with the purple spine
lettering.  My four other copies have black  boxes.  I had bought a
second set so I'd have a pristine set of discs while using the earlier
discs one for my broadcasts.  And in the 70s when Rich Markow was
working at Sounds Good in Chicago and spotted it on a cut-out list he
called me up and all he said was "C3L35 is on a cut out list.  How many
do you want?" "Three," I replied.  I don't ever want to be without this
set.

Mike Biel  mbiel at MBIEL.COM