[78-L] Lambert cylinder needed

bradc944 at comcast.net bradc944 at comcast.net
Fri May 27 12:30:57 PDT 2011

Putting in my 2 cents' worth here...

Mike is correct... and a clarification may be needed here (IMnsHO)...

Remember that in the pre-matrix days, and esp. with cylinders, one could only make 'x' number of copies before the piece's master HAD to be re-recorded due to wear.  If I'm not mistaken, Pathe' verticals fall into that category (since those were recorded from cylinder masters at first, no?)...   It's not like 30 or so yrs later when masters and pressing pieces would last a lot longer, and the manufacturer could run off a new batch from the masters.

Anyway, re: Whitburn... I take that with a massively fatal dose of salt... it may be good as a generality, but not for any serious research.  There are MUCH better sources for historical discography data out there.

Brad