[78-L] Record Collection "IN Your Garage" TV show

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun May 22 11:15:38 PDT 2011

On 5/22/2011 12:20 PM, Cary Ginell wrote:
> Doubt that there's much of value in there if his favorite is by Steve Lawrence.
>
> When he named his rarest records as being the "first" Elvis Presley record, he pulled a 45 with a picture sleeve that looked like a bootleg or reissue. Certainly wasn't a Sun test pressing.
>
> Cary Ginell

I have that record -- it's not rare -- and it was disclosed as being a
fake immediately when it was released.  It was supposedly recorded
BEFORE the Sun records which is why it wasn't a Sun record.  You can and
hear the record on a youTube that has only been viewed 141 times, and
the story I reprint below from that posting seems to tell the story of
this fake very well.  The fade out you hear just before the grafted-on
concert closing was the real give away to me that it was a fake the
first time I heard it back in the late 70s.  Steve -- why don't you send
this info to the producer of the garage show that sent his URL to you?

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxQ_zqwCE-Q

Soon after Elvis has died, record come out that claims to be his first
professional recording from 1954. Pete Falco said that he have paid
Elvis $15 to record the song `Tell Me Pretty Baby`at Audio Recorders
studio in Phoenix.
Only that Audio Recorders first start doin business until 1957. Before
that it was Ramsey´s Recording Studio. Once even singer Michael Conley
claims that he sings it. Mystery ended when Bear Family issued
`Rockin´And Bobbin`In The Desert vol. 2 ´cd. There is the two sided
acetate recorded in Audio Recorders in maybe early 60´s by Jamie Falco
And The Red Dots. Falco´s version of Don Cole´s Stop appear on that cd.
The other side of that acetate is the very same `Tell Me Pretty Baby´
that you hear in here (not in that cd.)