[78-L] "Blank Disk"

D P Ingram darren at ingram.fi
Thu May 19 23:23:11 PDT 2011

Hi. Whilst going through a recent set of donations, we came over a "blank disc" (vinyl, 12 inch) that we've never seen before.

It is titled "Wilson Stereo Library Ltd." (with a London, UK address) and on both sides it says "Blank Disc to simplify pick-up alignment and correct side pressure"

And, of course, no recorded tracks or grooves.

Why would such a piece of round plastic be issued ? Was it some form of an underlay (and if so, why would a label go to the trouble of issuing such a thing)?  Were such issuances common with the move from shellac to microgroove LPs ? There is no date on the piece. It would be useful to know more so we can catalogue it and place some notes so further generations of confused persons share some knowledge.

Thanks, Darren

¦ D P Ingram ¦ Ab Ingram Oy ¦
¦ darren at ingram.fi ¦  www.ingram.fi ¦
¦