[78-L] the 'deadest' consumer audio formats?

Steve Williams jazzhunter at collector.org
Sun May 15 16:26:43 PDT 2011

Yah, I still have one, a vacuum tube unit, saved through my recent big move
and throw-out, plus half a dozen cassettes, and matching crystal microphone
and cloth slipcase with "RCA Victor" emblazoned on it. It's in quite good
shape except that the belts have disintegrated to goo with the density of
machine oil.  A near-future project is to try to restore that unit, though
of course the tapes themselves can be unspooled and played at 3-3/4 on a
quarter-track open reel.  With the mechanics and tape path structure I think
the audio performance would have been decent.  The size of the tapes is one
and a half times that of an 8-track, though thinner since there's no loop.

-- Looks like this--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&feature=related&hl=iw&v=ll_lLimCIjY

..  Steve Williams  ..

Message: 2
>Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 15:53:46 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
>From: "Bud Black" <banjobud at cfl.rr.com>
>Subject: Re: [78-L] the 'deadest' consumer audio formats?
>To: <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>

>Does anybody remember the RCA super cassette machines from the early
>sixties?  It was a failed format, but for years I had a player that worked
>fairly well.  The cassettes were much like what would become the standard
>Philips" cassette, only about ten times larger.

Bud