[78-L] Chick Webb alternate takes

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Thu May 12 17:33:29 PDT 2011

Greetings from FixitLand!

Taylor Bowie wrote:

> The thread about the Reisman alternates reminded me of a very unusual
> example of  different takes.
>
> It's the Chick Webb Orch. Decca of   "You showed Me The Way."  De
> 1220.
> master number is 62067 with takes noted as "A" and "B."
>
> <snip>
>
> Anyone know of similar cases of dance band records where there is a
> radical
> difference between takes  in the arrangement,  and not just in solo
> work?
> I'm not talking about something like a Lanin where he did
> variations on the
> same chart for different labels on different days.

One pair that comes to mind brings things back to Leo Reisman: Takes
13 and 17 of "Body And Soul" (Victor 22537) differ notably, and the
vocalists are different genders! There's also Take 14, which I would
figure is much like -13 (I don't have a copy though).

Take care,

Joe
--
"A kitten is chiefly remarkable for rushing about like mad at nothing
whatsoever, and generally stopping before it gets there."--Agnes