[78-L] 1927 Leo Reisman alternate take

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue May 10 18:35:19 PDT 2011

From: "jim brannen" <jbfinsup at yahoo.com>
> Hi everybody, new to 78-L, but not 78 collecting. Been seriously
> collecting sine I was 12. I'm 66 now. My Reisman Columbia of "Red Lips" is
> also take 2. Any speculation on what take is most common. 2 or 4?

My dad had about 300 78's...I was allowed to play them at the age
of 3...! I started buying 45's from juke operators (4 or 5 for $1) in
my high school years...had a nice accumulation, which my
alcoholic brother destroyed after I left home for my USAF term
(4 years). Around 1972 I started buying 78's atb local thrift
stores...and then I was given about 600 78's by an acquaintance
who had bought about 5000 and needed help going through
them, looking for stuff like "Uncle Josh" records.

Not too long thereafter I discovered auction lists...bought
probably 2-3000 from Peter Leavitt. When I moved to Canada
in early 1977, I had around a thousand 78's...by 1993 I had
around 17,000. Over the last several years I have bought a
number of large lots; I estimate my current holdings to be
around 67,000 of them...!

And I will still buy large lots...!

Steven C. Barr