[78-L] Age of record collectors

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue May 10 21:45:51 PDT 2011

From: "DAVID BURNHAM" <burnhamd at rogers.com>
> Well I'm 68 and have been collecting since shortly after exiting the womb,
> that
> would make me the oldest member on the list, so far anyway.  And so far, I
> seem
> to be the only one who actually started collecting 78s when they were
> still au
> courant - the only medium to be had, and therefore weren't actually known
> as
> 78s, they were just records.
>
> But I'm not going to stand in front of all you youngsters and admit that!
> Oh
> wait a minute, I just did!!  I hate senior's moments.
>
> db
>
> P.S.  Actually, Mr. Barr is probably older than I, since he was born the
> same
> year I was but I wasn't born until November.  So I guess he's the only one
> on
> the list whom I actually have to respect.

My day of birth was October 22, 1942. Tht makes me 68 and a fraction.
However, although I listened to my dad's 78's as a VERY young child
(three or four) I didn't start accumulating them until 1971...when I was 39!
I enjoyed listening to my dad's 300-odd 78's as a very young child; however
I didn't start buying them until about 1971. I happened on an antique shop
in Galena, Ill's which had a bunch of 78's and sold them for 25 cents each;
I bought around 50 of them. Thereafter I started haunting thrift stores,
along with "Don's Discs"...was lucky enough to run across a catalogued
and marked collection of 78's before it was picked over, and bought
about 150 78's for a dime each...!

Steven C. Barr