[78-L] Collections, lists

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue May 10 16:08:59 PDT 2011

From: "Cary Ginell" <soundthink at live.com>

> I have a listing for every song or selection on every record I own in a
> Filemaker database that I update regularly with new acquisitions. No
> record gets shelved until it is inputted into the system, which keeps the
> floor clean. I can find anything I own in about 30 seconds to a minute. I
> decided on this system some years ago to make hunting for items to play on
> my radio show easier. A few minutes every week or so is all it takes to
> maintain. My database now has 233,224 individual entries, representing
> some 30,000 discs and CDs. Until I did this, I merely had a "collection"
> or "accumulation" of records. Now I can call it a "library" or an
> "archive." Shelf space is holding its own because I've cut down on
> acquisitions. Gotta live within your means.

About five years (and several computers) ago, I started a MS Access
database intended to keep track of my holdings; someday I will try
to recreate this...?! Currently I'm working on a project whose intent
is to edit/correct/update the "Abrams Files"...!

Meanwhile, I'm seriously short of milk boxes...I have a number
which could be used if the bottoms were reinforced, and that
may be my next  project...?!

Steven C. Barr