[78-L] Age of Collectors (WAS Kurt Nauck's Auctions)

Matthew Duncan recordgeek334578 at yahoo.com
Tue May 10 02:04:27 PDT 2011

Hi all

I am 25 and have been collecting for about 15 years.  When I started collecting
78s I already had a small collection of blues LPs, 50s and 60s pop and R&R 45s
and some Jazz EPs etc...

I knew no other collectors but my local flea market got to know me as 'the kid
who bought records', in particular - 78s...

I was the only one who ever bought 78s from any of the sellers there until a few
years ago when some others started to do so - but I am still the only regular
visitor who would buy 78s..

I mainly collect early jazz, blues, string bands, hillbilly, western swing, big
bands and anything acoustic that looks interesting (especially music hall and
marching bands playing ragtime) and try to keep my 78s to as close to 1900-1950
as possible (my vinyl collection is 1950 to c.1965).

I now buy 78s from loads of sources and know many other collectors but the
youngest one I know is 35.  I imagine there are a lot of collectors who are 50+
or 60+ but I would say there are enough under 40s to keep things going for a
while...but you will have people who will stop collecting too...which may happen
for several reasons and at any age..

I have never been influenced by any 'revival' or hype - I got into 78s through
being a geek in general and being a lover of old music...I was captivated by the
sound of 78s when I was  kid and I know I always will be a collector of 78s
although I collect cigarette cards, postcards and music memorabilia too....

Matthew Duncan
England.