[78-L] Buying a record in pieces (was Dalhart Black Patti)

Martin Fenton mafenton at talktalk.net
Mon May 9 09:45:47 PDT 2011

There used to be a dealer who attended my local record fair here in the
UK 20 years ago who had pristine multiples of 1960s EMI LP sleeves,
which he'd sell for a pound or two each. He'd apparently bought, at
auction, the stock of an EMI warehouse where they had stored the
over-run sleeves intended to be pinned up on record shop walls for
promotional purposes.

The sleeve to "The White Album," I remember, was £3.50, because it came
with the poster and the four picture inserts. This, pre-eBay, was when
you could still buy original pressings of Beatles albums in excellent
condition for £10 or less (which I did.)

Martin.