[78-L] Preview of June-July Edition of In The Groove

Tim McCormick Dad at TheMcCormicks.com
Fri May 6 12:34:17 PDT 2011

Folks,

	The June/July edition of In The Groove is headed to the printers
next week.  I keep being amazed at the excellent work submitted by our
contributors.  In the mean time, below please find the President's Message
from the upcoming issue:

President's Message

"Have you explored the endless possibilities of running for elected office
in the Michigan Antique Phonograph Society?  I believe I see within you the
makings of a GREAT magazine editor!"  I recently exchanged E-Mails with a
MAPS member using those very words.  Other than being a little whimsical,
there is both sincerity and opportunity in that statement.  I believe in
volunteering my time and energy to a cause that is worthwhile.  Heck we all
do or we wouldn't commit so much devotion to our passion of antique
phonographs and recordings.  My term as president of MAPS expires on
December 31st, 2011.  We will need a new president to continue on the
tradition begun some 36 years ago.  The August/September edition of In The
Groove will start the ball rolling with a slate of MAPS officer candidates
for 2012/2013.  Election ballots will be printed in the October/November
edition.

I will be happy to assist as "one" of the editors of In The Groove, if
elected.  There is enormous opportunity for more involvement from MAPS
members in our magazine.  By changing ITG to a bi-monthly, employing a
graphic designer, and planning our new web site to serve as an editorial
assistant, we now have the luxury to divide up the duties of the magazine's
editor into various departments or specific duties.  No one person will have
the responsibility to do it all.  Joan Rolfs begins her new duties in this
issue as our MAPS Chapter News editor.  We have an immediate need for two
more editors: "Upcoming Events" editor and "Swap Shop" editor.  With this
distinction comes the glory as you will be credited as an associate editor
of one of your favorite magazines - In The Groove.  Send me an E-Mail at
President at MAPS-ITG.org and we'll discuss your involvement.

Union is just around the corner.  If you haven't heard, the dinner meeting
following Friday's early buyer show will feature presentations by three very
prevalent North American antique phonograph societies: The California
Antique Phonograph Society, The Canadian Antique Phonograph Society, and our
very our Michigan Antique Phonograph Society.  Personally, I'd like to see
more interaction between our groups.  We share the same interests and show
up at the same events.  I wonder what we could accomplish if we pooled our
talents and cooperated on a joint project.  With enough voices and
petitions, would it be possible to encourage a major university to create a
study program in antique phonographs and recordings?  How nice it would be
to offer museums and archival libraries graduate students that have been
immersed in a curriculum of historic audio.  I have high hopes that someday
there will be well-funded and properly managed non-profit museums of antique
phonographs and recordings with the justifiable expectation of outliving us
all.  Someplace that will accept museum quality phonographs and actually
display them and even play them to researchers and the public at large.
Places where museum volunteers won't point to an Edison Amberola model 30
and tell their tour group, "This particular phonograph was manufactured in
1877." (sorry, I had a bitter experience last month while on vacation)

Antique phonograph enthusiasts are some of the best people on Earth.  I will
forever enjoy your company as together we enjoy our passion of historic
audio.

Enthusiastically Yours,

Tim McCormick