[78-L] ARSC^

Philip Carli Philip_Carli at pittsford.monroe.edu
Fri May 6 07:11:44 PDT 2011

Unfortunately the good ol' New York Central itself (now Conrail) is responsible for much of the delays on the Empire Corridor.  When NYC passenger service ceased in the 60s they ripped up half the trackage to save maintenance costs -- it used to be a 4-track way all the way to Chicago -- and since Amtrak leases the way from Conrail, passenger servirces are now secondary to freight rather than the reverse (as it was).  That turns the Lake Shore Limited from being a true "limited" or crack train into the slowest on the run, since it comes the farthest and has the greatest opportunities for being shunted.  It's nice to feel that people are secondary to a train of construction materials, or worse, empty boxcars returning home.  (On the Rochester-NY regular trains, rather than the Lake Shore, I've usually been stopped between Syracuse and Utica, where some of the way has been cut to single-track and sidings.) William K. Vanderbilt's 1870s contemptuous blast about the Central's responsibilities still holds true, here and in US business generally: "the public be damned!"

(There might be some track restored for high-speed service which keeps getting talked about. I hope for it, but I don't hold my breath.)

PC