[78-L] ARSC^

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu May 5 20:49:29 PDT 2011

Ah, the good old days. My wife and I regularly used Greyhound and Gray Coach
(long gone, I believe) when travelling to Montreal and to New York, and the
smell of diesel is still a nostalgic one. And I'm happy to leave it at that.

My first trip to New York in 1968 was by bus both ways. Coming back, I had a
pile of records (so what else is new?) that I put on the rack and covered with
a newspaper. Customs barely looked..on the other hand, they herded every black
passenger off the bus at the Peace Bridge and did detailed inspections.
Interesting.

dl

On 5/5/2011 11:44 PM, Philip Carli wrote:
> Ecch and double-ecch.  I'm with you on that.
>
> One trouble with buses in my recent experience is that many bus travellers seem to give even less of a cuss about courtesy than air travellers; the last time I took a Greyhound, contempt and desperation hovered like a cloud over the whole company, and some smokers tried to light up despite the driver's draconian warning that he would pull over and leave them in a cornfield east of Nowhere.  An obviously disturbed woman was forcibly placed in the seat adjacent to me because she had started yelling from her original seat "I ain't sittin' next to no junkie" over and over.  When she sat next to me she rocked and swayed back and forth, tonelessly humming and writing in very small script on an already-scribbled notepad.  I had to take a bus because it was logistically the only way I could get to where I needed to; logistics take a back seat to finances for most bus travellers, though, as many can't afford anything else and are compelled to travel that way.  Greyhound does very l
itt
>   le to make the experience at all dignified, which might inspire people's better natures. It's a hard life to depend on buses for long-distance transport.

 Mo