[78-L] Your Mother's Son-In-Law - BG and Billie Holiday on Columbia Blue Shellac

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Thu May 5 00:14:34 PDT 2011

> It's very hard for us to realize the impact of a black girl fronted
> white band. And one that played in the black style. This recording had
> all the spirit of a Sunday Church Meetin'. And so did "Sing, Sing,
> Sing". That was played in Carnegie Hall five years later.
> We need not wonder why Goodman had trouble getting traction until later.
> He automatically cut his audience at least in half. I would declare
> Benny one gutsy guy. And Columbia brave for cutting this record at all.
>
> --
> Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)

I'm not sure about this,  Mark.    The Goodman/Holiday sides were by a
studio band,  and I recall that it was John Hammond who picked Billie to
sing,  not Goodman.

If I'm not mistaken,  Goodman didn't hire Teddy Wilson to play with the
trio/quartet until the band had already clicked on Let's Dance and been
signed to a very attractive contract with Victor Records.

This is not to underestimate the pioneering efforts of BG to have an
integrated band,  but more to put the various events into the right
historical perspective.

Taylor B.