[78-L] Your Mother's Son-In-Law - BG and Billie Holiday on Columbia Blue Shellac

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Wed May 4 19:41:40 PDT 2011

On 5/4/2011 2:58, Martin Fenton wrote:
> On 04/05/2011 02:08, Jeff Sultanof wrote:
>> Would the quantity pressed be on a card in the Sony archive?
> I've just scoured the hefty booklet in the "Complete Billie Holiday on
> Columbia 1933-1944" CD box, having recalled something said about the
> number of copies sold.
>
> It doesn't mention a specific figure, but points out that the preceding
> year had been Columbia's worst sales-wise, and that the record sold so
> poorly that John Hammond didn't record Billie Holiday again until nearly
> 2 years later.

It's very hard for us to realize the impact of a black girl fronted
white band. And one that played in the black style. This recording had
all the spirit of a Sunday Church Meetin'. And so did "Sing, Sing,
Sing". That was played in Carnegie Hall five years later.
We need not wonder why Goodman had trouble getting traction until later.
He automatically cut his audience at least in half. I would declare
Benny one gutsy guy. And Columbia brave for cutting this record at all.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.