[78-L] Victor 25686-A Just Once In A While

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Sat Apr 30 15:57:33 PDT 2011

Greetings from FixitLand!

Han Enderman wrote:

> I have 3 label variants (images, of course) of 25686-A and assume
> JUST... is the first one.
> As follows:
> #1 - JUST ONCE IN A WHILE. Inner row of patents complete.
> #2 - ONCE IN A WHILE. Inner row of patents complete.
> #3 - ONCE IN A WHILE. Inner row of patents with gap (at 7h one
> patent removed).
> #3 is a later label type (the new VICTOR GUIDE shows it in Fig.
> IX-2 and dates this
> Victor label type IX.A.1.b as late 1941-fall 1943).
> My image #3 is a version with 2 cuts in the double ring at 10h/2h.

That all fits in. That #3 version with cuts in the Rings at 10 and 2
o'clock is, as I understand it, a West Coast pressing. With the
missing patent 1637544, it's a brass-print ("silver") label. The
earliest brass-print labels have the patent. There are also uncut
Rings with even ends and uncut Rings with uneven ends (uneven ends is
Indianapolis pressing?). [Gotta save my pennies for that new Victor
Records book...]

Your copy plus the one soon to be mine (it's on the way) makes two of
JUST ONCE IN A WHILE. Any others? Any foreign issues (HMV)?

Take care,

Joe
--
"The trouble with cats is that they've got no tact."--P.G. Wodehouse