[78-L] Beach Boys 78

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Apr 28 17:58:23 PDT 2011

On 4/28/2011 6:31 PM, Cary Ginell wrote:
> Just got my Beach Boys 78 set in the mail. Here are a few observations, some of which have already been mentioned.
>
> 1. The album came sealed, with a sticker on the shrink wrap that said "RecordStoreDay.com exclusive."

There also was a bar code sticker on the lower left rear of the shrink
wrap.

> 2. There was a price tag of $11.99 on the set, showing that most mark-ups on eBay are at least 200% (not unusual).

That was a store price tag, and I think some of the stores priced it
higher, judging from a couple of ebay pictures that included price tags.

> The problem would have been to find a copy in a record store that was carrying it before supplies ran out. To me, to avoid that kind of trouble was well worth the extra $14 I paid for it (I paid $26.03 on eBay).

I don't think anybody but ebay sellers found copies!!!!  I suppose the
dozen copies Princeton Record Exchange had went in the first five
minutes despite their limit of two copies of any of the RSD records.

> 6. The background color of the first disc - with the issued takes of "Good Vibrations" and "Heroes&  Villains" - is a dull dark purple, the color and the font style used similar to those used on 78s in the 1950s.

It is VERY DARK purple.  I can hardly tell it from the black of the
other disc label -- and hadn't noticed till you mentioned it.  (I also
didn't see the little paper insert till you mentioned it.)

> 12. The copyright info on Disc 1 is written on the lower perimeter of the label (9:00 to 3:00). On Disc 2, it is on the upper perimeter of the label, with the "Unauthorized use" disclaimer running across the bottom. Copyright date on Disc 1 is 1966. Copyright date on Disc 2 is 1990.

You failed to mention that Reg. U.S. Pat. Off. is under the logo on the
first disc but does not appear on the second disc.

> Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase.   Cary Ginell

Ditto.  And I assume Leah will also like the copy I got for her.

Mike (aren't I a nice dad) Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com