[78-L] Late Pressed 78s.--Historic Masters & Symposium

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Apr 26 08:23:32 PDT 2011

On 4/26/2011 10:25 AM, Martin Fisher wrote:
> Hi Ron,
>
> I assume you're talking about Historic Masters and Symposium REPRESSINGS
> here.  What you hear is a faithful reproduction of what's on the metal parts
> WITHOUT the added shellac noise.  Most of the material was mastered to a
> "wax" blank and therefore the vinyl pressings do reproduce that

When I was in Moscow in 1995 I was given a pair of recently pressed
blank white label vinyl pressings of four very early operatic matrices
and the presence and acoustical atmosphere of what could be heard
without the mask of surface noise was breathtaking.  You could
practically feel the air in the horn.  Late last year I was able to get
at bargain prices about 40 Historic Master pressings from Mikkrocosmos'
final sale list, but have not been able to listen to any of them yet.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com