[78-L] Binaural, duophonic, etc.

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Apr 26 07:04:32 PDT 2011

On 4/26/2011 9:25 AM, Martin Fenton wrote:
> On 26/04/2011 07:56, Steve Williams wrote:
>> I did try it with the DeParis record:.. Technics CS110 turntable with 12"
>> Jelco arm; recorded to and attempted to align in Nuendo.  My comment is
>> "GGrrrrr!!"  Besides temperature shifts in the deck's speed, the arc of the
>> arm is different on the inner and outer tracks.  Graham Newton may have
>> succeeded, he's the restoration expert, but I just gained a lot of grey
>> hairs and destroyed my stomach with 222's.
>
> Having a turntable with some speed stablity would help a lot. Not that
> that would account for any speed fluctuations in the original cut, or
> off-centre wow.
>
> Martin.

You have the option to center the disc before transferring, place a weight on
it, and then leave it alone and transfer both tracks under identical
circumstances. As it happens, the sound on the disc I have isn't great and
there's a fair bit of flutter, being recorded in Vienna it may be subject to
pitch instability in the master, but at least the recording flaws will be
identical in each channel. Ticks and pops are going to present a totally
different headache since each channel is now essentially a different record.

Titus Moody in stereo? Howdy Bub!