[78-L] Kitty, Daisy & Lewis (was late issue 78 thread)

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Sun Apr 24 22:06:02 PDT 2011

Thanks, Adam, for posting the roster. I was unaware of some really nice items, especially the retro-style 5-pocket 78 rpm album put out by the British trio of siblings Kitty, Daisy & Lewis Durham. I had never heard of them before, but when I YouTube'd some of their songs, I was blown away by their talent, versatility, and knowledge of music history, even though all three are still teenagers. This enterprising family trio has gone beyond Elvis to find the true roots of rock 'n' roll and came up with some of my favorite titles. "Going Up the Country" is, of course, Henry Thomas's "Bulldoze Blues." "Honolulu Rock-a-Roll-A" is from a dandy Moon Mullican rockabilly track from 1956. Other songs on this set pay tribute to Johnny Horton's Mercury rockabilly "Mean, Mean, Mean Son of a Gun," Charlie Rich's Sun smash "Mohair Sam," and a bunch more. The set was released in 2008 in a limited edition of 500 copies and I could only find one on the Internet, in an eBay store in Spain. I snapped it up immediately. Although there are lots of scattered 78 rpm issues that have come out since 1970, this set is the only one packaged in the traditional multi-78 rpm album-style format.

Incidentally, this group is readying another multi-pocket 78 rpm set, based on their forthcoming CD, "Smoking in Heaven," which is due to be released on May 30. The first single is already issued on 78 (as noted in Adam's list). The 78s are pricier than the CD, but who could resist the "novel" packaging? Not me.

http://www.bloginity.com/blog/2011/03/08/kitty-daisy-lewis-announce-lp-smoking-heaven/

Cary Ginell