[78-L] Beach Boys 78

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 12:47:24 PDT 2011

Which was something I've wondered about the track 'Gene Autry: a foxtrot' on
the WOW album by Moby Grape.  It's for playback at 78, but is a track unto
itself.  The other tracks on that side are all 33 1/3 of course with the
last track ending in a locked groove.  You have to manually move the tonearm
to play GA in addition to switching the speed to 78.26.  However, the end of
GA ends in the typical leadout spiral just like the other side of the
LP....it looks to me like they actually prepared a very slowed-down dub of
GA so that it could be cut at 33 1/3 and give correct pitch played at
78.26.  (I experimented with this once and determined it had to be slowed
down something like 17.5% slower than half speed for this to work.)