[78-L] Beach Boys 78

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Apr 22 12:35:32 PDT 2011

On 4/22/2011 11:54 AM, agp wrote:
> At 15:07 22/04/2011, DB wrote:
>> I just received my copies of "Good Vibrations" on 78 and although
>> it's spinning
>> in shining splendour on my Credenza, I thought I should find out some
>> information before I lower the arm onto it.
>>
>> 1 What size stylus do I use to play it?
>
> I think it is microgroove

If that is the case, I would recommend for your Credenza that you use
the special orand shank chromium needles that RCA recommended for their
Long Playing Program Transcriptions.   (I'm kidding of course, because I
am assuming YOU are kidding!!)

>> 2 It supposedly had a run of 5,000 but one of mine is numbered
>> 6965?  (I know,
>> that doesn't sound like a question.)
> I hear there is going to be a convention in LA of everyone having
> that particular number. Seriously, I wonder if they randomised the
> numbers so as to make it difficult to get the lowest number -- as in
> the Beatles' White Album -- Serial Number 1

I did see one of the ebay records with a photo that included a number in
the five hundreds.   I also had seen the 5000 pressing run cited and
tried to get the set with number 4995 someone was selling, then I saw a
few with numbers in the low 5000s.  I was thinking that maybe they had
really pressed 6000 but with your number of nearly 7000, who knows???

>> 3 Why in the world does it say on the label "Vocal group with Theremin"?
> Somehow this sounds like retro-sillies. I'm surprised it doesn't also
> say 'Foxtrot' or 'Jaunty Two Step' a la non-contemporary 78s.

Bump and grind?

> I am curious about the actual disc configuration. For example, What
> size and style label did they use -- lp size or 10 inch size. If they
> used a 78/ 10-inch style label, is the landing area for the label
> larger than the label (lp size).

This was nicely answered in another posting by Royal, but I am
interested in a MORE vital question: Were the master lacquers actually
cut at 78????  Do they have a lathe turntable still in operation that
actually spins at 78.26??  I bet the cut it at 33 or 45 and transposed
the recording down while cutting.  I have not gotten my copies yet to
check, but I wonder if the accurately pitxch out at 78.26.  Not 78.00
but 78.26.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com