[78-L] Obit: Orrin Tucker

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Fri Apr 22 09:06:03 PDT 2011

>> Slide Hampton is still alive.
> ==================
> Aren't we going to impose a cut-off date when they were active,
> otherwise this is going to be an open-ended list?
>
>      Julian Vein

I thought the idea was to cover who is left of people who were leading
well-known dance  bands in the late 30s to early 40s.  Buddy Moreno and Van
Alexander so far are the only ones who make that cut,  I think.  Others
mentioned are more jazz oriented,  later,  leaders of smaller combos,  or a
combination of those.

Interesting that at this point in time, Peter Duchin has been leading a band
for some fifty years...three times longer than his dad had a band.

Taylor