[78-L] Binaural, duophonic, etc.

Steve Williams jazzhunter at collector.org
Thu Apr 21 23:14:04 PDT 2011

--Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 12:37:35 -0700 (PDT)
--From: DAVID BURNHAM <burnhamd at rogers.com>
--Subject: [78-L] Blumlein

--Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 16:04:41 -0400
--From: Jeff Sultanof <jeffsultanof at gmail.com>
--Subject: Re: [78-L] Binaural, duophonic, etc.

--Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 19:26:35 -0400
> From: Michael Biel <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> Subject: Re: [78-L] Binaural, duophonic, etc.

--Not to get picky, but the wasn't the DeParis Atlantic? I distinctly
remember
--seeing a copy of it at some point.

--You mean Atlantic, don't you?  If so, I have this too, along with a real
single groove ----stereo issue of the recordings that Atlantic issued in the
late 50s.

Yes sorry, I frequently confuse black label Atlantic with Black label
Mercury in my mind.  I have it in my hand now, BINAURAL.. Atlantic Records
BIN 1208.  White front with green and blue graphics surrounded by a black
border on the top and left.  It's the "First in Atlantic's Binaural Disc
Series.."  The Wikipedia article mentions 50 or so titles having been
released, but the Rampart Street Ramblers session is the only one anyone
seems to have.  I didn't know there was a 1950's V-cut stereo release of the
session, I'd LOVE to stumble upon that!.. In fact I've yet to hear proper
playback of this great jazz recording at all. I do believe it's been
released on CD; the only trouble is reading the marketing blurbs and trying
to figure out which CD I actually need to find. Recording dates are rarely
mentioned, just personnel and titles.  The earliest multitrack session done
to a contemporary LP in my collection, a 1958 red label stereo Atlantic, is
of Emma Barrett, recorded at Radio recorders in Hollywood in early 1955.
This was in one of several boxes of New Orleans records that I obtained from
Joe Showler.  That session I KNOW is on CD. Again if I've misremembered the
label it's because I've recently moved and a lot of my records are still
packed..

The arm this guy had was a true twin arm branching out from a single pivot,
not the "Outrigger" type mentioned in the Wikipedia article..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cook_Records  The fellow was 40, still living
at home in his Mother's house right on Hurontario St. Below Burnhamthorpe in
Mississauga. I was there to look at a vintage round tube black and white TV
he was selling (yes, actually selling..)  He said he paid $20 for the arm at
a flea market "because it was so weird.." I remember it as being in a box
with a green or yellow cover (Cook's trademark colour was yellow) and "Cook"
emblazoned on the side.  It had a manual and mounting template as well as a
booklet on the history of stereo, with the Cook method as being the
ultimate. I knew about the Emory Cook method but hadn't yet found the
DeParis Atlantic, which I stumbled upon at a flea market myself for a dollar
just a year after this, otherwise I would have tried even harder to persuade
the guy to sell this "pretty trinket" to me. I too wonder how phasing was
maintained, and whether the cutting lathe used a radial arm.

I have a contemporary article on the earliest demonstration of CDs.  The
decoder was in two racks of equipment! They weren't yet using dithering
(introduction of random noise to the least-significant bit so as to mask
stairstepping) so the audio sounded quite mechanical or buzzy to some
listeners. ...Only one DA chip was used in early consumer decks because the
chip was so darned expensive..

Steve Williams  ..