[78-L] Blumlein

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Thu Apr 21 12:37:35 PDT 2011

.......  Blumlein and others didn't always use a pair of
bi-directional with one facing forward and the other facing sidewards.
Sometimes a cardioid is used facing forward and the bi-directional
pattern is facing sidewards.  I think this is what is meant in this
description.  Using a cardioid as the forward facing mic instead of a
bi-directional reduces pickup from the rear, such as audience noise and
hall reverberation.  Stereo mics like the AKG C-24allowed for the
changing of the patterns -- in the case of the C-24 even from the
control room while listening to the results live!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What you're describing here is M-S, (Mid-Side), or Sum and Difference miking.  I
was discussing only XY sets-up.

But  in fact, for over 30 years, I have recorded using the Sum and Difference
system almost exclusively, employing either an AKG C24 or its solid state
replacement, the C422.

As far as I know, Blumlein never had cardioid mikes for his experiments, however
I think he did introduce the concept of using a single ribbon which was divided
in half with one half exposed at the rear to produce a bi-directional
characteristic and the other half sealed at the rear, acting like an omni mike,
and combining the outputs of the two halves to produce a cardioid
characteristic.

But once again, neither the XY nor the MS coincident systems produce the
inter-aural time differences necessary for binaural recording and, in fact, the
Styrofoam head used to mount the mikes for binaural recording also has
artificial pinnas since this is what the ear uses to locate sounds up and down
or front and back.  Surprisingly to some, the hearing mechanism uses inter-aural
time differences almost exclusively to locate sound sources;  inter-aural level
differences are almost irrelevant.

db