[78-L] EQ ideas for transferring acoustic 78s?

Erwin Kluwer ekluwer at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 10:28:40 PDT 2011

Just use your ears! In contrary what a lot a people believe... there were no
fixed EQs  for early recordings.  Acousic recordings should be played flat
(no equalization at all)..  Other  people believe in adding equalisation to
compensate for the distortion of the curve (mainly introduced by the
recording horn). But since there are so many variables involved you actually
need a graphic display of the curve to be able to restore it... Bottom line:
tons of variables, different vison of experts,no industry standard what so
ever...Best way to go..go for what sounds best to you...

Erwin