[78-L] WWI descriptive record with fadeout

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Apr 21 09:37:24 PDT 2011

On 4/21/2011 10:34 AM, Philip Carli wrote:
> There are a number of "patrol" type records with smooth apparent "fade-outs" going back to fairly early days.  Syracuse University has a copy of an Edison-Bell cylinder from about 1905-06 titled "The Suffering Suffragettes" where a small parade comes in from the distance (this is after the announcement), there is a short comic meeting, and then they go off again.  All very slickly done, complete with a Salvation Army-type bass drum keeping time and fading away.

I've got this beat by a decade!  Berliner 8, Coxey's Army Patrol,
probably recorded in 1894, is much the same with the band marching in,
playing a bit, and then marching away.  I have it on tape from when I
recorded Fred Williams' Berliner collection.  It is a thin celluloid
pressing and although it has no recording date it is very similar to his
copy of Berliner 248 The Swiss Boy  Cornet Duet which is clearly dated
Nov 8, 1894.  Both run at about 60 RPM.

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com